This is a Sheffield silver wine stand with three cut glass bottles. It was used in the 1800s in General James Breckinridge’s home, Grove Hill, and is displayed in the General’s law office. He practiced law as an “intellectual pursuit “ charging under two dollars (10 shillings). Leslie Breckinridge Kinion donated this artifact to the Botetourt Historical Museum in Fincastle.
The oldest section of the Botetourt County Historical Museum is the law office of General James Breckinridge (1763-1833). In this room is the reproduction of Edward Beyer’s 1855 painting depicting Breckinridge’s home, Grove Hill. It was built in 1804 and burned in 1909. The General James Breckinridge Chapter of the DAR donated it to BCHS. They also loaned the original to the History Museum of Western Virginia which is in the O. Winston Link Museum.
These early wall and table coffee grinders were very popular in the late 1800s. Whole coffee beans were ground by turning the handle and then used for freshly brewed coffee.
It was only after the Boston Tea Party of 1773 that colonists switched from English tea to coffee as a patriotic duty. Marilyn Persinger Erdman and Barbara B. Braithwaite donated these two which are displayed in the Botetourt County Historical Society’s Museum in Fincastle.
This mannequin is wearing the costume worn in the 1970 Botetourt County Bicentennial pageant. It was worn by Valydia Scott Coon Smith. The 14 foot bench that the mannequin is sitting on is from the original courthouse and is in the Museum Courthouse Gallery.
The Botetourt Historical Museum has a special new exhibit featuring the costumes, artifacts, and a film of the 1970 BI-Centennial held in Botetourt.
Something went wrong. Please refresh the page and/or try again.
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.